May is National Strawberry Month
All hail the mighty strawberry! They are so delicious and nutritious; no wonder we celebrate them for an entire month. Most everyone enjoys their sweet tanginess, but few people know much beyond their perfection with fresh whipped cream and shortcake. It’s time to brush up on your strawberry skills because once you understand their super powers, you’ll want to keep them on your plate throughout the year.
Strawberries are red, sweet, juicy, and tart. They are perfect in salads, muffins, smoothies, and desserts, or just on their own at the peak of freshness. Here are some fun facts on these bright berries:
- Strawberries and roses are cousins from the same family.
- They kick off the growing season as the first ripe fruit of spring.
- No other fruit has seeds on the outside.
- Eighty percent of strawberries grown in the U.S. come from California.
- Once picked, these berries will not continue to ripen.
- The ancient Romans favored wild strawberries.
- Medieval feasts featured them as a harbinger of peace and good fortune.
Apples are great, but strawberries will also keep the doctor away. They are rich in vitamin C, flavonoids, potassium, fiber, folic acid, and folate, which is quite a nutritional hodgepodge. Incorporating strawberries into your healthy diet may help:
- Reduce risk of stroke and cancer (antioxidants)
- Prevent heart disease and lower inflammation (flavonoids)
- Regulate blood pressure (potassium)
- Stabilize blood sugar in diabetics (low glycemic index)
- Fight depression and bone loss (folate)
- Promote a healthy pregnancy (folic acid)
- Avoid constipation (fiber and water content)
That’s a pretty powerful fruit! Strawberries are also cholesterol free, low in fat and sodium, and contain no artificial preservatives or colors. They are perfect for everyone, even people following gluten-free, kosher, or vegan diets.
The Merry Month of May
If you have the opportunity in your area to find a local U-pick berry farm, take your family and load up on fresh strawberries to enjoy. Most people across the nation don’t have that option, but lucky for you, Rader Farms® does the picking for you. Our strawberries are picked at the peak of ripeness™ and frozen within three hours to preserve that fresh-picked taste and all those nutrients. With our fresh-frozen berries, you can have the health benefits and flavor all year long. Make every bite count with our strawberries and other frozen fruits and vegetables for farm-fresh flavor any night of the week. Rader Farms frozen strawberries are available in Sliced Strawberry, with blueberries in our Strawberries and Blueberries mix, and also with raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries in our Mixed Berry mix. Keep your freezer stocked for any time of year when you want the flavor of a perfect May strawberry.